To pay by check, just follow these easy steps:
- Single issues cost $15, plus $3 shipping. Within California, include 8.75% sales tax.
- To order more than a single copy, to request international rates, and to ask questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Make your check payable to UC Regents.
- Mail check and order information to:
UCLA American Indian Studies Center
3220 Campbell Hall, Box 951548
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1548
American Indian Culture and Research Journal: Vol. 35, No. 2 (2011)
Indians in Unexpected Places
Articles (click on the links below to view abstracts)
- Introduction: American Indian Languages in Unexpected Places by Anthony K. Webster and Leighton C. Peterson
- Unexpected Languages: Multilingualism and Contact in Eighteenthand Nineteenth-Century North America by Lisa Philips
- Failing American Indian Languages by Barbra A. Meek
- “Please Read Loose”: Intimate Grammars and Unexpected Languages in
Contemporary Navajo Literature by Anthony K. Webster
- As the Rez Turns: Anomalies within and beyond the Boundaries of a
Pueblo Community by Erin Debenport
- “Reel Navajo”: The Linguistic Creation of Indigenous Screen Memories by Leighton C. Peterson
- Challenging “Extinction” through Modern Miami Language Practices by Wesley Y. Leonard
- All Intimate Grammars Leak: Reflections on "Indian Languages in Unexpected Places" by Paul V. Kroskrity
- On Leaking Languages and Categorical Imperatives by Philip J. Deloria
- An Aleutian Ethnography. By Lucien M. Turner. Edited by Raymond
L. Hudson. Reviewed by Douglas W. Veltre
- The Arapaho Language. By Andrew Cowell and Alonzo Moss Sr. Reviewed by Jeffrey D. Anderson
- Broken Treaties: United States and Canadian Relations with the
Lakotas and Plains Cree, 1868–1885. By Jill St. Germain. Reviewed by David Reed Miller
- Canada’s Indigenous Constitution. By John Borrows. Reviewed by Katherine Beaty Chiste
- Cave Archaeology of the Eastern Woodlands: Essays in Honor of
Patty Jo Watson. Edited by David H. Dye. Reviewed by Sean M. Rafferty
- Cherokee Thoughts: Honest and Uncensored. By Robert J. Conley. Reviewed by Carol Miller
- The Fishermen’s Frontier: People and Salmon in Southeast Alaska.
By David F. Arnold. Reviewed by Caskey Russell
- “I Do Not Apologize for the Length of this Letter”: The Mari Sandoz
Letters on Native American Rights, 1940–1965. Edited by Kimberli
A. Lee. Reviewed by Thomas W. Cowger
- The Indian Commissioners: Agents of the State and Indian Policy in
Canada’s Prairie West, 1873–1932. By Brian Titley. Reviewed by Hugh Shewell
- Julius Seyler and the Blackfeet: An Impressionist at Glacier National Park. By William E. Farr. Review by Alfred Young Man
- Life on the River: The Archaeology of an Early Native American Culture. By William R. Hildebrandt and Michael J. Darcangelo. Review by Michael A. Glassow
- Louis Riel and the Creation of Modern Canada: Mythic Discourse
and the Postcolonial State. By Jennifer Reid. Review by Karen J. Travers
- The Meskwaki and Anthropologists: Action Anthropology Reconsidered. By Judith M. Daubenmier. Review by Stephen Warren
- Mohawks on the Nile: Natives among the Canadian Voyageurs in Egypt, 1884–1885. By Carl Benn. Review by Ken Coates
- Native Men Remade: Gender and Nation in Contemporary Hawai’i. By Ty P. Kawika Tengan. Review by Michael J. Levin
- Power Struggles: Hydro Development and First Nations in Manitoba and Quebec. Edited by Thibault Martin and Steven M. Hoffman. Review by Karim-Aly Kassam
- Reconfigurations of Native North America: An Anthology of New Perspectives. Edited by John R. Wunder and Kurt E. Kinbacher. Review by Douglas K. Miller
- Turning Adversity to Advantage: A History of the Lipan Apaches of Texas and Northern Mexico, 1700–1900. By Nancy McGown Minor. Review by Joaquín Rivaya-Martínez
- Uncommon Defense: Indian Allies in the Black Hawk War. By John W. Hall. Review by James W. Oberly
- Velroy and the Madischie Mafia. By Sy Hoahwah. Review by David Rice
Individual's Price: $15.00
Stock: In Stock
* These prices are for US customers only. For international orders, please contact email@example.com for additional shipping fees.
** NOTE: Prices listed are for individual buyers only. Bookstores or other resellers or representatives from bookstores or other resellers may contact the UCLA American Indian Studies Center Pubications for institutional purchases. Phone: 310-825-7315, eMail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Ready to Order?
You will be redirected to our online ordering system.