To pay by check, just follow these easy steps:
- Single issues cost $15, plus $3 shipping. Within California, include 8.75% sales tax.
- To order more than a single copy, to request international rates, and to ask questions, email email@example.com.
- Make your check payable to UC Regents.
- Mail check and order information to:
UCLA American Indian Studies Center
3220 Campbell Hall, Box 951548
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1548
American Indian Culture and Research Journal: Vol. 20, No. 2 (1996)
Articles (click on the links below to view abstracts)
- The Past as Legacy and Project: Postcolonial Criticism in the Perspective of Indigenous Historicism, by Arif Dirlik
- Land Ownership, Population, and Jurisdiction: The Case of the Devils Lake Sioux Tribe v. North Dakota Public Service Commission, by David J. Wishart and Oliver Froehling
- The Dawes Act, or Indian General Allotment Act of 1887: The Continuing Burden of Allotment. A Selective Annotated Bibliography, by Michael R. McLaughlin
- Friendly Fire: When Environmentalists Dehumanize American Indians, by David Waller
- Roots of Contemporary Native American Activism, by Troy R. Johnson
- Debating the Origins of Democracy: Overview of an Annotated Bibliography, by Bruce E. Johansen
- Uranium Is in My Body, by Rachel L. Spieldoch
- Legends, by Elaine A. Barrett
- Ararapíkva=Creation Stories of the People: Traditional Karuk Indian Literature from Northwestern California, edited and translated by Julian Lang. Reviewed by Monica Macaulay
- The Biographical Dictionary of Native American Painters, edited by Patrick D. Lester. Reviewed by Janet Catherine Berlo
- Earth Line and Morning—Star Nlaka`pamux Clothing Traditions, by Leslie H. Tepper. Reviewed by Carolyn Balkwell
- From the Land—Two Hundred Years of Dene Clothing, by Judy Thompson. Reviewed by Carolyn Balkwell
- Sanatujut—Pride in Women`s Work: Copper and Caribou Inuit Clothing Traditions, by Judy Hall, Jill Oakes, and Sally Qimmiunaaq Webster. Reviewed by Carolyn Balkwell
- Flutes of Fire: Essays on California Indian Languages, by Leanne Hinton. Reviewed by E. Breck Parkman
- Iroquois Fires: The Six Nations Lyrics and Lore of Dawendine (Bernice Loft Winslow), by Dawendine (Bernice Loft Winslow), with introductory and afterword material by George Beaver, Bryan Winslow Colwell, Donald Smith, and Robert Stacey. Reviewed by Nancy Bonvillain
- Iroquois Medical Botany, by James W. Herrick, edited and with a foreword by Dean R. Snow. Reviewed by Robbie Ethridge
- Kachinas in the Pueblo World, edited by Polly Schaafsma. Reviewed by Helen K. Crotty
- Letters from Wupatki, by Courtney Reeder Jones, edited by Lisa Rappoport. Reviewed by Helen M. Bannan
- Mythology of the Lenape: Guide and Texts, by John Bierhorst. Reviewed by Christopher P. Gavaler
- Negotiators of Change: Historical Perspectives on Native American Women, edited by Nancy Shoemaker. Reviewed by Jo Ann Woodsum
- Ocmulgee Archaeology, 1936–1986, edited by David J. Hally. Reviewed by Peter N. Peregrine
- The Ohlone Past and Present: Native Americans of the San Francisco Bay Region, compiled and edited by Lowell John Bean. Reviewed by Troy R. Johnson
- One Hundred Years of Navajo Rugs, by Marian E. Rodee. Reviewed by Cornelia S. Feye
- Parading Through History: The Making of the Crow Nation in America, 1805–1935, by Frederick E. Hoxie. Reviewed by Martha Harroun Foster
- Sex and Conquest: Gendered Violence, Political Order, and the European Conquest of the Americas, by Richard C. Trexler. Reviewed by Vernon A. Rosario
- Thing That Were Said of Them: Shaman Stories and Oral Histories of the Tikigaq People, told by Asatchaq, translated by Tukummiq and Tom Lowenstein. Reviewed by William L. Sheppard
- An Unspeakable Sadness: The Dispossession of the Nebraska Indians, by David J. Wishart. Reviewed by Stephen G. Cobb
- Victims of Benevolence, by Elizabeth Furniss. Reviewed by S. Carol Berg
- William Bartram on the Southeastern Indians, edited and annotated by Gregory A. Waselkov and Kathryn E. Holland Braund. Reviewed by Robbie Ethridge
- Zuni and the Courts: A Struggle for Sovereign Land Rights, edited by E. Richard Hart. Reviewed by Frank E. Wozniak
Individual's Price: $15.00
Stock: In Stock
* These prices are for US customers only. For international orders, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for additional shipping fees.
** NOTE: Prices listed are for individual buyers only. Bookstores or other resellers or representatives from bookstores or other resellers may contact the UCLA American Indian Studies Center Pubications for institutional purchases. Phone: 310-825-7315, eMail: email@example.com
Ready to Order?
You will be redirected to our online ordering system.